Skip to main content

Guilty Pleasures?

I still love walking into my closet. 

All of my favourite treasures sit waiting there for me - carefully curated, collected and cherished pieces from so many different lives lived (and reminders of all the many different people I have been over the years). Part Museum and part dreamy 'happy place' - so much of me that I don't share with the rest of the world is hanging in this secret cove.

From the shoes (oh the shoes) to the fancy purses to the makeup and the jewelry - It's a guilty pleasure for sure! I love and long for that woman who used to put them all on (Guilt Free) who didn't think twice about what others might think. Is it because I'm a Mom now (#momscantwearthat).. is it because of the pandemic and that most of these relics have collected dust as we have nowhere to go? 

Or is it because I have two young girls who are also drawn to the magic of this place and are watching my every move - I have to be so careful how I introduce them to this complicated relationship with the Cult of Beauty and Fashion. Can a feminist really wear a bold red lip?

I'm definitely having some interesting conversations with myself (and my children) these long days at home... about why I have so many party dresses, lipsticks and shoes (and why Fashion simultaneously brings such joy). I can count on my one hand the times my kids have seen me in anything other than jogging pants and a single coat of mascara over the past 8 years- they don't know their Mom who wore suits, designer jeans or even (gasp) Makeup and heels >>This is one of the things that happens when you start to work from home...

Back to the closet - I really do love watching them play dress up in here (like I used to do when I was a child - ha - or even before I had children). But - I also want them to ease in slowly and find their own unique/personal style and expression (something I am only just discovering now in my Forties). So where do all the make up brushes and designer bags fit in?? Why is Getting 'Dressed Up' still such a guilty pleasure. 

... At the risk of going off topic and launching into an entirely different post; I'll pause on all this for now (Don't even get me started on the clean beauty movement, body creams and shampoo's I'm introducing to their little bodies).

Back to the Closet:: I would love to tell you about my most cherished artifact and the story behind this special white Designer (now *yellowish) purse. ::Ugh:: Why didn't anyone tell me to keep it in that cute little dust bag? Adulting is hard...

I love this Purse partly because of what it is, but mainly because of where it came from and who gave it to me. You see: Every time I pass by it I'm reminded of the Strong and loving women in my family and my friends who attended my Bridal Shower and gifted it to me. 

When I was getting married - My fantastical Aunties, Mother, Grandmother and their cherished Cougar Pack (yep) - threw me a glorious "Kittens and Cougars Shower" to welcome me to the other side. It was magical!

It was also the first designer bag I had EVER owned. And before you role your eyes and wonder 'why' a Kitten needs a clutch -I think I finally know the answer myself (and it gets clearer as the years zoom by) - these cougars knew how important it is to celebrate; To celebrate eachother and life milestones and to have something special just for you. Something to remind you of special events and inspire you to make more... to cherish the years as they go fast. And to never apologize for being sexy and confident. A purse you say? Yes... this Purse made me feel so 'grown-up' and fancy all these years ago.. and so much more... Maybe it still can??

I've also learned to take better care of such things - so they will last. (*gentle reminder to do more sit-ups)

I love seeing my closet through my girls eyes- as it's clearly making me see everything in a new light. It's also reminding me that Beauty and Fashion do have a place in our world - as long as it's fun and creative.


Every piece I own has a story - and I'm having fun telling them all to the kids *and passing pieces along.

Until we can get out again- we have been dressing up and staying in - and I've pulled this purse and so many other favourite pieces down to play with (I'm using them more now than I have in years actually).

We are beauty seekers and wonder collectors in my family - sparkly things make us so inspired! It's no surprise that after all this time spent painting and creating with coloured papers, glitter glue and markers - that my kids are now drawn to my closet full of sparkly neckalces, fun dresses and all the colourful eye and lips palettes...

Don't think to much my mother would say - just enjoy. And always dress to make yourself happy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unavailable at the moment

Have you noticed more radio-silence than normal amongst friends and family - unanswered texts, calls and emails? I sure have - and I don't think I'm alone in this... So how do you know if a friend is simply icing you out and giving you the silent treatment - or if it's something completely different (aka. another Covid side effect). Cat and Nat recently shared the following quote/sentiment -and it drew out some very interesting conversations amongst various friends (Well: from those still returning my text messages and emails that is).  Friendships and relationships  in general have definitely changed (and in many cases suffered) during the pandemic - and not just amongst us adult folk.  I'm also watching my children adapt and struggle to connect with their friends virtually whilst navigating a myriad of new emotional/social hoops that weren't there before. I'm also noticing that my tool kit is empty -  I usually have all kinds of ideas up my sleeves when it...

The Medium is the Messenger?

I was making Birthday cards this past week, and as I looked down at my handwriting I started thinking about my Grandfather. He was always telling me that I should do something with my handwriting- like turning it into a font or making sure it made it's way into one of my paintings or web designs.  He had all the time in the world for me (I was clearly his favourite) and  was always interested in what I was doing - he had this magical way of making me feel important and 'seen'.  Which is why I was completely stunned when this lovely French Woman named Geraldine  told me that he could still in fact 'see' me (side note: He died nearly 8 years ago); and that he had some advice for me. {Here's where it get's really tingly and bizarre}: She told me he wants me to do something with my handwriting! I mean... How would she even know that? I can hear your eyes rolling and completely understand if you need to leave the room now ( I know my mother and husband both star...

Out of Focus

I surrender! I don't have a singular focus for this blog (or my life), I may never have one (for either) -and I'm finally OK with that. <<EXHALE>>. It feels so good to say that out loud! It's time to embrace the fact that I may just be one of those people who will always love too many things and have too many interests and never really fit anywhere. I'm tired of constantly fighting and endlessly struggling to find my 'focus' and 'vocation' (5 career coaches were also left scratching their heads).. Perhaps I'm what Emilie Wapnick would call a  Multipotentialite . Perhaps being in this weird land of indecision (being someone without one true calling) is exactly the place where I'm supposed to be... and exactly what I'm supposed to explore here in this blog!  'A blog needs room to grow and space to wander, which means that if you're completely sure of where you're going blog-wise, you're probably never going to get th...