Skip to main content

The Thing You Think You Cannot Do

“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Dramatic right? But seriously... The Horror for me was posting my very first post to this Blog (and sharing my thoughts/self with complete strangers).

The irony is not lost on me as I've willingly enrolled in a 'Blog School'.

So here I am -  I've been asked to take a trip outside of my comfort zone. To be a little bit lost...and then to report back!

And without hesitation - I'd like to report that I have never felt more excited. It's kind of like the rush you get when goosebumps sneak up on you; a sensation somewhere between fear and utter curiosity. A 'newness' inside of me has definitely been hatched.

Upon reflection, it wasn't the blogging itself that terrified me- it was the fact that I didn't know what to write ( or rather - that I thought I didn't have anything of interest to write about or a focus).

Don't get me wrong - the whole gamut was intimating! From the thinking about what to write all the way through to hitting the PUBLISH button on my very first post. It truly was a supernatural feat -one which sent me hurdling towards the galaxy of the unknown. You should have heard the protest being staged inside my mind. The breaks were on, there was a noisy symphony of a zillion reasons why I was in the wrong place and should turn around immediately.

It turns out it went so much deeper than fear of writing/creating  -or even that I didn't think I'd know or have anything to write about. It was actually the fear that all the terrible things that had been said to me over the years; by toxic bosses, experts, 'Friends' (and even family) were true.

They had all pointed to/insinuated that I didn't belong here in the writers realm. (I have a good story for you about a Fancy and grumpy Editor who slashed my work to smithereens when I started blogging 13 years ago).

Yep - all I could see were her track changes...

So; the real reason I didn't think I should be here blogging and writing? It was ultimately because their voices were still very much alive in my head (and sadly -I still believed them).

Enough was finally enough! I mean...what if I had changed? What if they were wrong? 

I'm not saying I'm perfect - and that feedback isn't a necessary part of growth. But - What if they were also part of the equation (I wish I knew what Gaslighting meant back when I was being yelled at for having the nerve to get pregnant and embarrass the agency).

What if I had held back my true opinions and thoughts from them because I didn't feel safe, I felt bullied - or because using my voice was discouraged and frowned upon (or because I was raised to think opinions were asked for - not offered).

It was a noisy weekend for sure... It took nearly two days of wrestling to unravel all these ideas and false claims that were resurrected during this exercise. Yes, the critics were indeed back and shouting to compete with one another for the reasons 'why' I shouldn't hit the damn 'POST' button. 

I have never been SO excited to battle these critics though - it was time to stare them down and figure out why they came to take residence in my head in the first place.

I was like Eddie the Eagle at the top of the jump/ramp - running a slideshow of everyone else's reasons why I should walk away (I highly recommend the movie btw #uglytears).

I was sick of them all. What they had done and I wanted them out... I want to Fly!

And so... I sat with the voices- I listened to them... then I realized something:

All these "Experts", Coaches and Bosses (and even friends and family)  -  all seem' d to have something in common:


>They didn't get me at all. 

>They were nothing like me.

>Some admitted to not even liking people *like me that much (like my Career coach who admitted she only liked Introverts)

Many were also battling *unique demons (of which I had only later learned about).


And lastly -  none of them had ever left a 20 year career in Advertising to strike out and start all over again...

None of them were ultimately me - so the only expert on 'me' should be me.

It begged the simple question - why did I listen to 'said' experts and these people anyways... why did it take 'til my Forties to actually take everything with a grain of salt.

And most importantly  - Why and when had I stopped listening to myself.

Another fear that surfaced was this fear of Judgement (the snap judgement that happens when people only read a snippet of what you say - then they take it or you out of context and assume they know everything about you). You know the kind...

I had even stopped posting on Facebook and closed an Instagram account (switching it private) - for these very reason. 

I had realized something about myself as Social Media exploded around me- -I much prefer having conversations or discussions face-to-face. Where people can see and 'feel' each others energy and tone and 'mood'. I also hated that people saw one or two pictures of my life (or read one or two lines of copy) and assumed they could stitch the fabric of my life together without my help...

I stopped reading comments. I don't belong to any online/closed Facebook groups (I did belong to one at one point for my children's school and it was downright terrifying). I'm old fashioned in that I still would much rather do all of this 'live'.

I realized I had a fear of people 'thinking' they knew me before I had a chance to introduce myself.. This may also explain why I nearly freeze when it's time to write a BIO or when reaching out to Network or apply to total strangers for job interviews..

Perhaps I had simply outgrown Facebook and IG -and/or I simply hadn't found the right platform...

But - now - I think I'm seeing myself and the internet in a whole new way through Kerry's eyes! And I like it.

I'm willing to trust both again... and I think Blogging may just be the perfect space to hatch and start fresh.

I don't know what comes next... I suppose you could say that this is the stripping down part in renovation (back to the studs). But I'm excited to find out and am entirely grateful for Kerry and this push into the unknown.


....

"Not all who wander are lost"






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unavailable at the moment

Have you noticed more radio-silence than normal amongst friends and family - unanswered texts, calls and emails? I sure have - and I don't think I'm alone in this... So how do you know if a friend is simply icing you out and giving you the silent treatment - or if it's something completely different (aka. another Covid side effect). Cat and Nat recently shared the following quote/sentiment -and it drew out some very interesting conversations amongst various friends (Well: from those still returning my text messages and emails that is).  Friendships and relationships  in general have definitely changed (and in many cases suffered) during the pandemic - and not just amongst us adult folk.  I'm also watching my children adapt and struggle to connect with their friends virtually whilst navigating a myriad of new emotional/social hoops that weren't there before. I'm also noticing that my tool kit is empty -  I usually have all kinds of ideas up my sleeves when it...

The Medium is the Messenger?

I was making Birthday cards this past week, and as I looked down at my handwriting I started thinking about my Grandfather. He was always telling me that I should do something with my handwriting- like turning it into a font or making sure it made it's way into one of my paintings or web designs.  He had all the time in the world for me (I was clearly his favourite) and  was always interested in what I was doing - he had this magical way of making me feel important and 'seen'.  Which is why I was completely stunned when this lovely French Woman named Geraldine  told me that he could still in fact 'see' me (side note: He died nearly 8 years ago); and that he had some advice for me. {Here's where it get's really tingly and bizarre}: She told me he wants me to do something with my handwriting! I mean... How would she even know that? I can hear your eyes rolling and completely understand if you need to leave the room now ( I know my mother and husband both star...

Out of Focus

I surrender! I don't have a singular focus for this blog (or my life), I may never have one (for either) -and I'm finally OK with that. <<EXHALE>>. It feels so good to say that out loud! It's time to embrace the fact that I may just be one of those people who will always love too many things and have too many interests and never really fit anywhere. I'm tired of constantly fighting and endlessly struggling to find my 'focus' and 'vocation' (5 career coaches were also left scratching their heads).. Perhaps I'm what Emilie Wapnick would call a  Multipotentialite . Perhaps being in this weird land of indecision (being someone without one true calling) is exactly the place where I'm supposed to be... and exactly what I'm supposed to explore here in this blog!  'A blog needs room to grow and space to wander, which means that if you're completely sure of where you're going blog-wise, you're probably never going to get th...